View Single Post
Old 30-12-2009, 08:18 AM
orestis

observation report + sketch 29/12/09

Hi everyone,
After a whole week of waiting for a beautifull night,It finally came and on my birthday aswell,When i turned 14.Best Birthday present i could ever have.

Telescope-130mmX900mm Reflector
Sky conditions- 4/5 very good
Moon phase- Waxing Gibbous, approx 90 percent full
obs night started - about 8.30pm edst
obs night finished- about 10.15pm edst

When i took the telescope out it was still a bit bright so i looked at the moon.

Vallis scroter/Aristarchus/herodotus:-First time i've seen this group.I saw amazing detail in the valley and the two craters.There was two craters side by side and then the valley coming out of the middle of them an amaing sight.10mm + 2x barlow.

Then when it started getting dark i had a glimpse at m42 at noticed a very apparent green hue which i hadn't noticed before.must of been the transperency.

After that i swung the scope around to ngc 2516 (open cluster in carina)
and started sketching.

NGC 2516:-i could see 80 or more stars in the fov.The distribution of the stars was quite irregular ,some grouped areas while there were also big bald patches were no stars could be seen.The central star had a red hue to it and the brightest to the right was yellow.Magnificent open cluster.

After i finished the sketch i had a look at Sirius the dog star.Wow it was the first time i've seen difraction spikes in my scope,it was awesome.

Sketch info:-all i basically did was just plot the stars and then processed on computer.materials-2b clutch pencil.sketch took about an hour to make (beginner).I only have one problem i don't know how to put down the cardinal points on.Does anyone here know how too?

i was going to look for ngc 2808 (glob in carina) but it was too bright from the moon so i went to bed feeling satisfied with my sketch.

Thank you to anyone patient enogh to read my obs report and look at my sketch.

orestis
clear skies to all
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Ngc 2516.jpg)
21.2 KB49 views