View Single Post
Old 15-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
Ok here it is straight forget film cameras too expensive for astrophotography unless your in too developing your own film, by the time you add up buying the film takening shots getting it developed etc etc in the long run it'll work out cheaper buying a DSLR. Like you I was given a number of relelatively old film SLR's with AF lens when I found out the lens could be used on a DSLR cameras the first thing I did was buy a DSLR.
Having your films developed and printed is no more expensive than printing from digital (on your inkjet or colour laserjet onto glossy paper).
Plus you've got the negatives virtually for ever , and a half decent dSLR is not cheap to buy , and you need image processing software and maybe a lapy too if recording your images a remote (from mains) location.

And not everyone is flash enough financially to be able to afford to spend two or three grand (or more) on a digital camera and all the required paraphenia to make it useful astrophotographically. Film is the way to got to learn the ropes.