View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 07:05 PM
DamienB (Damien)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
@Damien I'm afraid that at a focal length of 600mm imaging deep sky objects you are very soon going to have to autoguide.
The D750 has 6um pixels. At 600mm focal length that is 2 arcseconds per pixel. And your mount will typically have a periodic error of 60 arcseconds peak to peak. It has a worm period of around 10 minutes (638 seconds to be more precise). So every 5 minutes or so the mount drifts around 30 pixels in Right Ascension then back the other way for another 5 minutes.
Until you start autoguiding you would do better imaging at 200mm focal length or less and keep your exposures short.

I plan to get an autoguider, but shouldn't this mount be really doing that anyway? Tracking along with the earths rotation....

Quote:
Hi Damien. When you entered your latitude into the Synscan, did you remember the minus sign? I.e. -35 degrees, not 35 degrees. It sounds like the mount thinks it is in the Northern hemisphere with you saying ‘it’s almost like it’s tracking the wrong way’ and ‘it pointed down instead of up’.

Cheers,
Andrew
Now you have me doubting if i have the minus sign in there. Jeez i REALLY hope it's that simple.