View Single Post
Old 24-11-2015, 03:38 PM
John K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post

I think that the equation here will still apply for determining sub lengths http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=117010
eg, at a gain setting of 100 for example, the calculation suggests that you aim for sky ADU values of ~90 + whatever the bias is. When stacking subs with such low ADU values, you could consider using additive stacking rather than average, simply to make the data easier for the display algorithms. I don't understand the implications of the published specs sufficiently well to suggest an optimal sub time, but as a general observation, a fairly low noise camera on a reasonably fast scope should require maybe 5-10 minutes per sub.
Thanks Ray - good info - I still don't fully understand the ADU value concept and how I measure this so more reading for me to do on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Aha ! it IS the new ZWO DSO camera. I saw the pic and checked the website but no update on the 'Coming soon' status.
Be very interested to hear how it performs.
Can I ask what the price was ? ... so I can start saving ?

Michael : I came up with a way to keep it dry and ice free on the 120mc if you are interested in further experimentation. Temps down to -20 or so, 50 Watt TEC, sealed dry chamber for the sensor. Just wasn't happy with getting .bmp files from the camera.
Brent - the price in fact will normally be $899.00USD but in fact for Beta Testers and as an intro price it was cheaper for me by about $100USD - not sure if this will be offered to everyone but even at $899USD still good value in my mind if it delivers with Deep Sky on top of Planetary.

Also interested in your sealed chamber solution as I have seen the horror stories with several cameras like QHY. Sam has assured me that due to the small sensor/window and built in decadent it will be ok. My back up plan is to also try something else (see image attached below!) but will not jump any guns including a dew heater seal on the front if I start getting any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flugel88 View Post
Playing with the gain and exposure settings i found to be a fun challenge that involved a lot of trial an error but ultimately i was limited in my possible exposure times duo to no guiding.

Here's one of my first ever astro photos.
Im sure you could do a million times better with a cooled camera and bigger chip.
Hi Michael - thanks for the info and sharing the image. You might also be interested in the attached image from a QHY user who simply pumps warm air into the nose piece through a hole using a small hose and a hole he drilled in the nose piece.

Keep the info coming IIS's!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ZumTW.jpg)
181.3 KB73 views
Click for full-size image (0KavP.jpg)
175.9 KB65 views

Last edited by John K; 24-11-2015 at 03:51 PM.