View Single Post
Old 18-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Trixie (Carey)

Hi, I have just joined up after lurking for a while on the beginners forums. I am a total newbie but everyone here seems so nice and polite that I have decided to delurk.

I dont yet have a telescope but am looking to buy one. I have been reading everything I can find on purchasing a telescope and that is how I found this site. I have found so many helpful posts on here and as a result have almost made up my mind to buy an 8 inch Dobsonian but still have about 20 pages of this thread to read through and I still dont quite have my head around eyepieces!

I have always had an interest in space and as my work often had me stuck out in the middle of the desert or the ocean (and much of the time working at night) I enjoyed many nights watching the stars.

Last year I was outside with my then 3 year old looking at the stars and he kept asking me questions about the stars and moon then he spotted Mars and wanted to know what the "orange star" was. I had no idea and had to look it up. Ever since then I have been trying to learn the constellations and now I want to see more!

At the moment I have some ancient old binoculars and, a star chart and a couple of books. So far I have mostly been learning the constellations and havent had much chance to even use my binoculars.

Anyway, I just popped in to say what a great site this is and I have already found answers to most of my newbie questions.

I look forward to spending more time on here!