View Single Post
Old 28-03-2014, 02:53 PM
niko

Ryz,

in my experience I started with a secondhand 8" dob from here to do visual observing and learn the sky. I held a point and click camera up to the eyepiece and got some acceptable photos of the moon and saturn. I also used a DSLR on a tripod to photograph the night sky (30sec shots at 1600 or 3200 iso) and take star trails.

I "progressed" (keeping the visual setup) into photography with a DSLR ED80 scope (refractor) and a HEQ5 tracking mount - again, secondhand here for about $1500 or so. I think there is a similar setup for sale presently. Lots of little addons added to the cost - guidescope, guide camera, various t-rings and extension tubes etc.

You COULD get a Dob as they hold their re-sale value pretty well and are cheap these days. Learn the sky with that and have some fun. The camera on a tripod in any case will produce some decent widefields under a dark sky with nothing more than a tripod and a shutter release cable (intervalometer).

Photography through the scope requires accurate polar alignment which can reduce the newbie to their knees pretty easily. It's a slippery and frustrating slope that produces great results with perserverance.

niko