View Single Post
Old 18-12-2023, 04:55 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesilver View Post
Yes, i am only running 8GB Ram in mine, I was looking at a mini pc mounted directly onto the mount, but kind of gone away from that as i do like to be able to see what is going on and input as needed.
I am guessing there is a solution to this like something like remote access or something like that, but i don't have internet at the Observatory + don't really want the astronomy pc online

Worked fine the other night, but most likely only time until it fails on me again.
Still looking at options.

In regards to remotely controlling your Obs …….
I use Windows Remote Desktop to control my NexDome Obs ( South Coast NSW ) in the backyard from my study in the house. You don’t need the internet, just a Cat5e network data cable from mini PC on the mount or laptop in the Dome to another laptop in the house. My distance is 32m from my laptop in the study to my Dome in the backyard. Works beautifully
Although you do need Windows 10 or 11 Pro version which comes with Remote Desktop.
I don’t like wifi connections they are not 100% reliable, cable is reliable. It was definitely worth the pain in installing the cable ( 2 cables infact , 1 spare )
I’ve had no issue in over 2 years
I use the same system in Sydney with my 8” rig in the backyard ( which I cover of a night ) I have a network port / outlet in a weatherproof box with lid near my pool fence. So I just use a 3m patch cord to plug into the outside lappy and inside the house I have a data outlet adjacent to my power point in the back Sunroom where I set up my indoor lappy when I’m imaging.
Gone are days of being outdoors all night , I leave that scenario only for visual observing

Cheers
Martin