View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 03:34 PM
boardriderz (Jimmy)

QHY5L-II Colour Vs Mono

Hi all,

I am looking into purchasing a guide camera (have been thinking about it for a long time, but finances might finally allow it now). I have been looking at the the QHY and the ZWO cameras. Ideally I would like the Mono version for more sensitivity, however there is a great special on Aliexpress.com right now for a QHY5L-II colour for around $256 AUD, the mono is $372... both shipped, a big difference!

My question is, will I miss the sensitivity in the colour version needed for guiding? At the moment I am imaging through an AT8IN, AT6RC or AT65Q astrographs and would guide through the AT65Q or a finder, and I am looking at the possibility of an OAG (but once again in the future as that setup is more $ still). I have an Orion Atlas EDQ (EQ6, I used to live in Canada and purchased all my current gear there before moving back to Australia). I have never done any guiding up to this point.

The Mono is really out of my reasonable price range right now and I would also like to do some planetary imaging as well in the future (but probably not with filters).

I think the QHY5L-II colour would work well, but am I missing anything?