View Single Post
Old 18-01-2020, 09:44 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Okay, I'll bite...

There are several refractors on the list that I would hardly put on a black list...

Sure, they are achromats.. sure, they show false colour, like pretty much every achromat ever built... so what??

When the stated reason for it being on the black list is...'Fast Achromat' I shrug my shoulders & think... so what...

I've owned a 'fast achromat' in an Orion Short tube which is essentially the same scope as the SW/Synta listed... actually, as an achromat, it was pretty damn good... false colour, yep.. on bright stuff... pretty much like every achromat ever built really... which is why doublets & triplets evolved... to my mind, doesn't make them a 'black listed' scope though...

My little TS Optics RACI finderscope, a 60mm f4 (so another fast achromat) actually produces some stunning views of open clusters, so much so that I'm still toying with the idea of buying a canon lens mount so I can put it on camera tripod to take on plane trips.. doesn't get much lighter & smaller for grab & go...

My point being... 'fast achromat' hardly seems like a solid reason to 'black list' a scope...

Just my thoughts on how objective/subjective the list may be...

FWIW, I don't own any of the scopes listed so, have no self interest in justiying why any of these scopes should or shouldn't be on the list... just doesn't seem to necessarily be particularly objective in some cases nor do they explain in any detail why it's on the list except, perhaps where it's on a carp mount... which I would agree with whole heartedly, having looked through cheap scopes on garbage mounts..