View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 09:02 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Bruce was awesome. Better than X though can't compare. Define "better". He certainly brought eastern martial arts to the west in a big way as a fighting style to be reckoned with. The philosophy of JKD created the MMA genre. An individual can train to be the fastest puncher or kicker or have the strongest grip, but thats just ego stroking, it doesn't guarentee a win in any way or that an opponent won't dodge or block effectively. These fantasy fight comparisons are meaningless as both opponents have strengths and weaknesses and the situation can have other factors coming into play. If you're talking about a sports match situation its unrealistic compared to a life/death fight situation. Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, Jet Li are all good martial artists in their own right, I wouldn't want to face any of them in a serious fight. Ditto the Gracies (who I have sparred with), people with skills have skills, thats all, can give them an edge certainly but then I've seen skilled martial artists get knocked out sparring with nervous beginners who dont know how to control themselves and are hard to read because they havent learnt a style yet, certainly can't feint, might over react to anything you do etc. There are plenty of people who do NOT do martial arts for fame and recognition and have high degree of skills.