Thread: CCD tilt
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
alistairsam

Thanks
I'll try rotating the laser as well, I guess I need to mark the secondary centre using the correct offset so I can check if the laser is at the centre of the secondary and check with a cheshire as well.

One other test I could do is test with a DSLR. if I have the same elongation with the CCD and DSLR, then its either collimation or focuser tilt, but if the DSLR is ok then I guess I have to open the QHY8 again.

Steve, with the laser collimator that's what is normally checked, whether the laser hits the primary in the centre by adjusting the secondary and if the return hits the 45deg laser frosted glass in the centre.

But I'll use the cats eye as I can understand how the laser can be misleading.

what is strange though is that I was once intently adjusting using the catseye, I got the triangles overlapped correctly via both pupils and then had a look at the secondary, it was actually tilted sideways by more than 10 degrees, yet the cats eye showed good collimation.

how do you actually do a star test? do you defocus the star and collimate or adjust? I might buy those artificial star light sources to test while indoors.