View Single Post
Old 18-07-2019, 09:18 AM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Gumtree, Facebook Buy and Sell pages and Cash Converters and similar sites as mentioned. Cash Converters don't list anything for sale until around 7 days after receiving items. That gives them time to send police a list of items received and police can check reports etc. In saying that, things do slip through the net.

I even set up a fake Facebook profile and joined local buy and sell pages and asked if anyone had a telescope for sale with the rough description on what I was looking for. Just in case someone was stupid enough to say "Yep, I have one of those". Make sure you word a few of your family and friends up on what you are doing and they "become friends" with the new profile. "Like" a few random pages and make some posts about astronomy too. It makes it all look a bit more legitimate.

We had a telescope pinched a few months ago and it is bloody annoying. I still check Facebook and Gumtree even though we received our insurance money. The thief was charged (over 100 separate charges) but I'd love to pin her on this item too. SCUM.

I hope you can recover your goods. Good luck.