View Single Post
Old 20-06-2020, 03:45 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Yep, as simple as it sounds, it was simply choosing the right camera in the arrow button when using ZWO driver in PHD.

In summary, this is what worked or me the other night, and my sequence.

Mount 1600mm in OTA, polar align with this using Sharpcap. Sharpcap scans for cameras and this was the only camera available as it was the only one plugged in.

Mount 120mm mini in guide scope, start phd2, use ZWO driver there, select the 120mm mini in the arrow button next to the driver drop down. I have two profiles, one for each guide scope I have (50mm FL difference), so made sure i was in the right profile too.

Start APT. Connect 1600mm using ASCOM driver.

Slew to target. Hit the auto select guide star button in PHD2, hit the begin guide button. Take a 4min test shot with guiding, see that guiding is rubbish, total RMS is 6.5 or so and stars are not crispy. 2.0s exposures on the guider here.

Run a calibration via PHD, it takes about ten minutes, but its worth it. After this, total RMS is below 1 for the rest of the night and my dreams are realized.

Mount and imaging camera are connected direct to pc via usb3 (PC using the skywatcher usb dongle, which hasn't missed a beat yet), guiding cam direct to pc via usb2. Windows 10

Reading this thread makes me think that maybe there is no one answer that will work across all setups, but for me, this was good. I hope it can help someone at some point!