View Single Post
Old 26-08-2014, 11:55 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamD View Post
Much respect to the cooler boxes / cold fingers people have made, but I found that my DIY Peltier cooled box only managed about -10C on ambient.

However, I can get about the same -10C cooling in Brisbane climate by putting a freezy ice block (the rectangular kind you put in lunchboxes) on the back. Couple of rubber bands to secure, and a shell of encasing polystyrene to insulate. Lasts for about 3 hrs on 15-20C nights. It less wires and a lot quicker to make !

For my purposes, this gets my 450D cool enough so that thermal noise is not such a big problem on the warmer nights, (remember the thermal signal halves every 5-6C). As to how cold is cold enough, you need to consider how much light pollution there is, and what f ratio you are imaging at. The idea is to cool enough so that thermal noise is less than noise from light pollution.
Ha ! what a 'cool' idea ( sorry, bad pun ). Must give that a go on the ZWO. The Alum back is much closer to the sensor and the body smaller than a DSLR so cool down and effect should be better. I've just gone and bought a small peltier element but this is worth a try regardless.

Thanks