View Single Post
Old 26-10-2018, 04:22 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Next upgrade - What should it be?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to take the next step in my imaging journey. I will start by laying out my current gear.

HEQ5Pro with Belt Mod (Pier Mounted)
50mm guide scope and asi120mm guide camera
Imaging Camera: Canon 1200D and assorted lenses.

I haven't bothered with a scope yet as I was just learning the intricacies of guiding and using the EQ mount.

I'm comfortable with where I'm at with my setup now I want to either buy a scope or new imaging camera.

I'm imaging from my backyard of a city with a population of approx 50-60k. So quite light polluted skies.

I feel like a mono camera with cooling would produce the best results in the short term until I can buy a scope.

If I were to go a scope first, yes I may get more detail of the object I'm imaging , but I think I will still struggle with light pollution with the DSLR.

Or would buying a scope and light pollution filter produce results as good as a cooled imaging camera mounted to a DSLR lens?

At this stage I think my preference would be the cooled imaging camera and some filters. (I hate light pollution and I believe narrow band imaging will remove this problem. I assume the standard RGB filters will still suck in the light pollution as well yes? It's only Ha, Oiii, Sii or a strong UHC filter or similar will stop the light pollution?).

Also going the imaging camera means my guiding requirements are still quite large, which is also a bonus as I still have some issues to work out to get under 1" RMS total. (getting close though )

If I were to go an ED80 scope or similar that would push my guiding right to the limit of where I'm at right now. (1.2-1.5" total RMS).

Does anyone have any opinions on what would work best? Please explain reasons for why you would or wouldn't recommend one option or the other.

Thanks in advance