View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Alasdair

Finderscope for a 10" dob?

As some of you know, I have just acquired a Skywatcher 10" collapsible Dobsonian - and of course, in honour of my purchase, Melbourne skies have been resolutely overcast.

However, last night, in an effort to get some experimental viewing in between the clouds, I thought I'd have a pot-shot at Saturn. This turned out to be very difficult, not only because of the moving clouds, but because it was not far off zenith, and I had to crouch down under the finderscope (which is a straight one) to find it. This caused cricks in my legs, knees, neck, shoulders, and all other parts of my ageing anatomy. And I failed in the short times I had of getting Saturn lined up.

I'm wondering if (a) I should get another finderscope, or (b) learn some Useful Techniques to manage the one I have?

Also, I have found that the bracket-and-shoe which hold the finderscope to the OTA, and which is secured by a single screw, is not actually all that secure - I've wound a bit of tape around mine to ensure it stays in place.

It's one thing to buy a telescope; it's quite another thing, as you would all know, of learning to use it! And I'm right at the beginning here. Happy to take any advice which can be tossed in my direction (think of it in terms of tossing scraps to a dog).