View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 11:48 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Bambo 600 -- Yeah!! :thumbsup:

Hi John & All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post

I would be happy to have Mike post the list on IIS and call it "Bambos 600" and issue an IIS certificate to those that complete it. Computer GOTO should be allowed as its part of modern observing equipment IMO ...

... In terms of editing the list to create a target list for smaller scopes. There are a couple of ways to attack this.

eg. One could edit the list and eliminate the difficult targets, but difficulty often can be as much condition dependant, as scope dependant. Another option may be to award say a 'Bambos 600 4" certificate' for observing 400 of the targets on the list in a 4" or smaller telescope and a 'Bambos 600 10" certificate" for observing 500 of the targets on the list in a 10" or smaller telescope. This gives the observer a little more flexibility based on their conditions.
Couldn't agree more! It'd be impossible to "police" against DSC/GOTO anyway and I think it fair to say maybe half the people here now at least have DSC.

Good idea with the 4" & 10" 400 & 500 -- solves the problem nicely.

Moving a tad off topic, I proceed on the apparently well-founded assumption that you've seen all these in the 600 and from that also assume that your " observing log" -- should you keep one, must be a very impressive size.

I only bring it up because I dropped into BINTEL to pick up some eclipse shades for China today and Don Whiteman and I ended up discussing observing logs and were speculating on which Australian observers (and Kiwis I guess) would have a "really big observing log". Yours was one of the first names I thought of -- and just wondered ...

Best,

Les D