View Single Post
Old 18-12-2018, 11:25 AM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

What specs on a CCD should I be looking at?

I've been doing some research on getting a cooled camera to replace my unmodded DSLR.

I know some basics about the ccd/ cmos cameras but not sure what kind of value/ impact certain parameters will actually make to my imaging.

I know the larger the pixels the more light they collect = shorter exposures.

Quantum efficiency is to do with the amount of light that hits the sensor that gets recorded as signal?? 80% QE is 80% of all photons get recorded?

Full well capacity is the depth of the pixel to record signal before being saturated. Is a small well capacity a bad thing? There can be some quite large differences in this parameter. Example being an ASI1600mm has 20k full well but an asi294MC PRO has nearly 64k. 3 times the capacity..

How much does actual Pixel count affect the images? as in Megapixels. Does more Pixels make the image seem smoother with more detail? (With the understanding that more pixels generally means smaller pixel size and more exposure time required).

And is read noise / dark current a major factor for a beginner? looking at the stats of the ZWO cameras these 2 parameters don't seem to vary a whole lot. somewhere between 1.2 & 2e. So I'm going to say it's not a huge priority?

Budget is a bit tight at the moment.(Around $1k ) But I think I would spend the extra if it was going to make a worthwhile difference. I hear alot of good things about the ASI1600mm PRO but I also see ALOT of them for sale. So not sure what to make of that.

If anyone has any input on the above, or recommendations of what to look for, I'm all ears.