Thread: Dash Cams
View Single Post
Old 21-08-2017, 08:47 PM
csb (Craig)

I'm onto my 4th dashcam. I've been side swiped twice by trucks and both times the drivers said not their fault. Dashcam saved me both times.

I find the cylinder shaped cameras are less obtrusive on the windscreen and can sit in front of my rear-view mirror. I have the Mini 0805 - they get great reviews.

The suction cup mounts are bulky and the camera hangs too far from the glass. Mine has a stick on Mount and sits near the glass. The camera clips into the Mount. However you will then need a 2nd mount to swap to your motorhome. Usually can buy 2nd mount on ebay.

You should look for a camera with 1040p resolution. A downside of dashcam is rego numbers are only legible from about 5 -10 metres, so higher resolution helps.

Also nearly impossible to capture legible regos of oncoming vehicles. Cameras with higher bitrate capture regos more legibly than low bitrate cameras.

Get a memory card of at least 32gb - this holds about 4 - 6 days worth of my driving. On dashcam review sites, they recommend to format the card regularly to help for reliability - I try to do it monthly. They also recommend a new card each year - memory cards actually wear over time!

Look for a camera that has good heat rating - the Mini 0805 has never failed to start on a hot day. Price is about $150 with a card on ebay, Aus sellers.

Last edited by csb; 21-08-2017 at 09:00 PM.