View Single Post
Old 23-11-2009, 01:32 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
LOL! No - no-one could ever hope to put themselves through an ivy league school on restaurant wages. Her family is pretty well off - and come from Rhode Island. She's just "doing her bit" to contribute- which is pretty admirable of her. She was brought up on high moral standards.

As far as doubling her wage in tips - it ISN'T hard!!!! She gets about US$12.00 per hour as a table waitress, which is pretty normal in that business there. One tip along would see her get a $20. I don't see that happening over here.
Thought so...you'd be flat out going through an "ordinary" university or college over there on those wages!!!

$12 an hour is not good wages...even juniors out here can earn better than that, even part time...at least here in QLD. They don't need to be tipped, their wages are quite adequate. Kids working at the fast food chains get paid less, but then again those establishments don't like paying any of their workers what they're worth. I know from experience.

In any case, what benefits was she being paid on top of her wages...I know for a fact that they don't pay sickness benefits and all the stuff we get here unless it's stipulated as part of their wages/work package by the company someone works for. For the most part, you get paid your wages then you're hung out to dry. Not that she would need them, being from the background she is (her parents would help out). Even out here, though, wages can be a dodgy affair. Some employers are better than others and quite a few places seem to get away with underpaying staff.

However, in equivalent dollar value, she's earning less than what she would as an introductory wage (by nearly $3/hr) and if she worked as a casual, the intro rate is more than 50% higher ($18.20/hr). On top of that she gets the usual benefits. I know where I'd rather work.