View Single Post
Old 16-08-2023, 12:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It's fun finding out Martin via hands on in my opinion.

I suppose it has to do with how you select an object but my approach is I select it because it appeals in some way and I may get onto it from noticing a photo or wandering around a planetarium to see what may be available in a particular region...and then reading about the object often gives a hint...if you find your list it certainly can form part of the process.

I often have a few hopefuls and I will take a single exposures at high gain for 60 seconds of each hopeful in each band if indeed I have not settled on an object ..so even if you have three hopefuls that is only 9 captures...these images are not flash but they give you an idea of what each filter will produce.. also may help in framing..from there I usually pick the hopeful that shows the best response overall...

It really does not take much time ..less than 10 minutes all up if averaged for each object ...and focus does not have to be perfect..that comes later...often the choice is between just two but even three takes very little time...and results are specific for your gear conditions etc...you can tell if you need more time with which filter...

It is a ruff approach but gives you a lot of cheap experience so not time wasted.

My bet is you won't rush past Ha as it will grab you for a while

I am very much looking forward to your results but in particular your first Ha grab.

Addition via Edit.
I find so often for what ever reason I do a run Ha, S11 and O11 and go thru the results and you find most of one channel has not come out and after culling instead of having 60 subs in each you only have 7 usable in say O11 and so the next night you find you may need another 7 Ha, 5 S11 but 43 O11 ...but as O11 has been elusive you may go for 100 of it and just a few more for the others...to me it is like a jig saw puzzle and you put together the bits you can and keep looking for more of what you don't have.

I am not an expert but if you use my approach to build upon it may be of help starting.

AND keep notes....record steps ..I am old but the complexity should not be over looked even by you young fellas and just dont rely on remembering ...it is so easy to find yourself asking..what filter am I on now...and probably expect three nights to get all you want...sometimes..well most times.

alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 16-08-2023 at 12:56 PM.