View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 06:49 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I did a bit of work on this about a year ago and came up with some interesting results. There are two trains of thought you can do.

1)
Get just enough RGB for good statistical rejection; 5-8 subs and then pump everything into luminance. This allows you to do HEAVY noise reduction on the RGB and then be gentle on the deep luminance.

2)
Forget luminance altogether... for shorter integrations anyway. By bang for time I’m guessing you’re thinking of a few hours per target? When you go with pure RGB you have much better colour rendition and noise control when doing the deeper stretches.

#1 will go deeper with less accurate colour and a terrible background while #2 will be almost as deep but better controlled and actually less noisy overall.
What I found in my testing is that pure RGB and equal amounts of LRGB had less noise than lots of Lum and Little RGB.

Depending on how much time you want to put into a single target, I’d suggest that the best way of imaging is to collect RGB until better SNR requires a lot more data. This is when you turn to Lum.