View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

As for the SNR improvement of LRGB over LPY, I'd be keen to have that explained a bit more thoroughly because to my way of thinking you'd improve the SNR this way. I just don't see how LRGB can be better than that; you'd have more read/bias/dark noise and less signal because for each R, G, B you're excluding both the others, whereas with PY you're only excluding one component, which directly translates to more signal.
But I think that when you do the subtraction processes, you include noise from 2 or more pixels, rather than just one (as for each RGB pixel) - so you may end up slightly worse off in the end (or at least no better off). eg if you had a large noise excursion in your L channel, you would end up with a large noise excursion added to all 3 RGB channels as well.

The other issue may be dynamic range. I seem to recall reading that the Kodak scheme of using clear L pixels in a modified Bayer matrix ran into trouble with the L pixels filling up long before the colour ones did, so the exposure had to be truncated before the colour data had got very far above the noise - nice L but poorer quality RGB. Same thing could possibly apply here.

and then again I could be completely wrong

Last edited by Shiraz; 12-03-2015 at 10:25 AM.