View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Great read again, SAB. Shame about Uni

Quote:
There was a lot of bloody wind and consequently seeing was pathetic at best. To add insult to injury, the wind was cold enough to kill you. The transparency wasn't great either. A completely different world to the night before. But as I said it will be my last chance to grab some quality eyepiece time until next weekend.
Yeah, it was a shocker that night. I went out for 20 minutes to check my Sirius sketch. So different from the night before.

Quote:
Leo Triplet - M65, M66, NGC 3628
Leaving Carina (for now!) I decided to check out the Leo triplet. Even though it was relatively low in the northern murk and light pollution, the 3 galaxies showed up really well at 166x! M66 was smaller and fatter than M65. Both were bright with tight cores. NGC 3628 was ofcourse fainter and appeared as a large narrow streak. I could actually make out the dust lane intermittently, quite difficult in the light pollution and poor seeing but it was there!
I could make out M65 and M66 two nights ago - very happy with that from Melbourne. It wasn't easy, but I could see them. I couldn't tease 3628 out of the haze. If I don't get too distracted by all da big 'scopes at Snake Valley, I want to do this region methodically in dark skies.

Quote:
OIII SWEEP OF ETA CARINAE AND SURROUNDS
Fitting the OIII filter into my 17mm LVW (83x), this is a sight to behold
PhilW dropped one into my scope a few weeks ago. Eta Carinae just came to life with an OIII filter... the contast between nebulosity and dark lanes was stunning. I just gaped...

Quote:
Got some sketches, coming soon.
Well....?