View Single Post
Old 28-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Talon Karrde

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman
Anyway I hope i've helped a bit.
Yeah, you have... I wasn't sure how effective some of that post-processing would be on the noise...

I've been pouring over whatever data I can find to try and help this decision out. Since this will be my first digital SLR the 10mp is tempting, but realistically I know it's not much of a jump from an 8mp camera anyway. The real issue is the fact that all those 40D rumors were false and I'm faced with choosing a known quantity (a 30d) or an unknown with several features that would be nice.

I looked at the 20Da in the past but I intend to use this camera for regular photography and don't want to spend the extra cash needed to retrofit it with the appropriate filters and stuff. I'm mostly a beginner when it comes to astrophotography so I still need a versatile camera.

The dust-reduction feature on the 400D seems very useful, especially since I'll be taking the lens off a lot. There is also 'noise reduction' filtering that can be done by the camera itself and turned on or off, however I consider that an unknown quantity since I have a tendancy to distrust 'automatic' things. heh

I actually went over my lunchbreak today and found one at the local camera store... it's smaller and lighter than the 30d/20d which may be nice when mounting on a scope (200g difference) but actually makes it a bit less comfortable in the hand.

The 30D has some awesome things as well that I can see might be useful, like the higher (and more plentiful) ISO settings, but then again I know the noise at higher ISO's are worse too. The controls are a bit more convenient and it's a KNOWN quantity.

From where I'm sitting now, it seems like as an entry-level hobbyist, the 400D is a good buy and I should use the 400$ savings (over a 30d) on some good glass... but I wanted to get some thoughts from the rest of you and find out if there were any 'gotchas' that might come back and bite me later.

Thanks for your help!
-TK

P.S. Like the site design. I run a VBulletin forum too... was never able to integrate it into the front page as well as you have. heh