Thread: SBIG or QHY9
View Single Post
Old 28-12-2009, 08:16 AM
rat156

Well no Doug, you were bagging the new camera. By simply pointing out the thread on CN and not going into any discussion of the point smacks of "Itoldyousoism" (yep, I made that one up myself), I saw it and thought to myself that it was pretty petty. I then went to the thread and saw the discussion. The user made a mistake in his darkframes, he has not used an astroCCD before and may have not gotten the darkframe proceedure right. He seemed to have fixed it in later posts.

The series of posts concerning the apparent difference in noise between the two cameras are rubbish, I can take a darkframe that shows no hot pixels on my ST-10, and that's got heaps of noise. It all depends on how it's presented. The lines in the SBIG darkframe are common to Kodak chips, they are a hot pixel and the readout cascade. I can't believe that the difference is the electronics behind the chip.

All up I have to agree with Theo on this one, competition is good, if I were thinking of replacing the ST-10,then one of these cameras would be on the list, probably both. The main problem I would have with the QHY is the number of SBIG accessories I have, which like the Nikon v Canon argument means I go for Nikon.

Cheers
Stuart