View Single Post
Old 13-11-2020, 04:47 PM
astro744

I found this article which has a lot of good info. Chapter 4 deals with telescope selection.

See https://agenaastro.com/articles/guid...p-sky-eaa.html

I would think that if permanently mounted that an 8” SCT would not need frequent collimating and when combined with a Meade f3.3 reducer would give you 660mm focal length and a large 200mm aperture, ideal for EAA. The f3.3 reducer has been discontinued but comes up for sale occasionally on IIS.

If you are set on a refractor then these are mentioned in the article. I’ve used a TV-101 with a Watec 120n+ (mono camera) but this was for an occultation of Saturn one night. I do remember trying it on Omega Centauri and it looked nice but Omega Centauri looks nice in just about anything. I also tried Omega with my C9.25 at f10, f6.3 and f3.3 with the Watec camera and f3.3 is great to give a wider field with the SCT. I didn’t really notice the difference the faster focal ratio made or at least I don’t recall. I did pick up a used colour camera a couple of years ago but haven’t even tried it yet. I just haven’t quite caught the EAA bug yet.