View Single Post
Old 27-02-2021, 11:26 AM
Paul Haese

These days I don't generally comment unless I see something which is a stand out. Many people don't comment too because of time constraints or they don't feel qualified.

With regard to image processing I look for the key stuff. Is the image black point clipped? Is the light being respected (as David Malin put it)? What does the colour balance look like? What sort of detail processing is going on in the image? Is that detail processing excessive or subtle? Do the stars have colour and is that colour correct (Hubble palette being the exception)? I hate green stars. I don't generally like fluro or garrish colour palettes (it's not a painting competition, its astronomy imaging).

Much of this cannot be done with broad brush processing. It must be done selectively in my opinion. And; all that comes with lots of practice and experimenting, learning the tools of processing. Ensuring you have a calibrated monitor also is essential. I often process several times during capture of data. Many of my projects last months, some now are going over years. You can never have too much data. I learnt that from Rolf Olsen.

A good way of learning processing techniques is to do online courses, look for tutorials and experiment with techniques you already know. Another way is to start discussions in relevant forums here. There are many ways to learn, not one is the only way.