View Single Post
Old 30-07-2020, 07:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
I've done a few "many hundred" stacks, but probably not over 500 or 600, I reckon. These are very short subs on a static mount with my daughter. The file sizes should be similar, though.

I was going to ask/check that you register and stack separately? This breaks up the process, and once registered, that work is done and locked in, so if the stack fails then you're not back at square one.

I'm doing this on mains power, and I take my hat off to you and your set up there off grid!

JP
First I have given up on my big stack..it seems I was trying to stack data from the 80mm and the 115 mm...I could have sworn it was all 80mm but no..given the saying that you learn by your mistakes the day must come where I will by somewhat expert.

There is a better way ...but I do a stack of my first set of data and select a reference frame ..always the one at the top..and save that group as a "file list". Before I load the next data group I remove all but the reference frame then add the new data..if things crash I have the file list to grab the reference frame.

Also in StarTools I load, crop and save so I start with everything cropped cause if you crash you lose your crop reference..learnt that the hard way..last image of seven groups, crash, start again.

What I need to do is tell DSS to use less stars..at the moment I am registering a batch that has it counting up to 50,000 which makes it slow as.

And I give it a separate external drive so I don't get told not enough space.

It can be fun stacking during the night and wake up and notice the batteries need a charge ...so I go out fill the genny and start it up so the inverter won't protest and shut down.
Alex