View Single Post
Old 15-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
David Malin's argument is that per his research into star colours he found that star colours are pastel shades not deep saturated colours.

Using that then as a reference you can then use it as a guide in determing overall colour of the other objects in the image.

Heavy colour saturation is usually something we all go through when doing processing. All that digital power to manipulate the colour is irrestible!

It has its place to emphasis features otherwise not seen like in narrowband.

But generally speaking, I have found that over the years I tend to pull back the colour compared to how I used to process and its generally better received.

So next time you reach for that saturation slider - try restraining yourself and instead of slamming it to 20 - relax, pullback a tad and slide it maybe to 5 or 8 instead!!

Its always a good policy to leave an image until the next day before you post it and see if you still like it. You can be too "in" an image to notice what garish wreckage you have created! If it passes the next day test then you are probably close to the money.

All good fun.

Greg.
that's a great idea Greg - using the stars as a reference. The allowable colours for black bodies are well documented, (eg http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir...blackbody.html ) so it is possible to get that side of things pretty right - and then tweak the object of interest from that starting point .

you sure are right about the morning after - "what was I thinking" is generally my feeling when I review processing from 11.30 the night before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
Ray,

Thanks Ray - I try.
As for colours - it is possible to turn up the colour too much.
I have 2 versions of Orion on my flickr photos now -
& I still can't decide which one to delete or whether to start again.

The one with more colour looks fake like chocolate box colours
but when reduced in colour it looks too pastel & lifeless.
I am still struggling with how much colour to apply.

cheers
Allan
thanks Allan - the space between chocolate box/neon and wishy-washy is sometimes very fine - glad to hear it is not just me

Of course the "neon" look is perfectly suitable for some nebulae - they are based on low pressure excited gas, just like neon lighting, so should have saturated colours. Galaxies on the other hand radiate starlight, so one would expect much more muted colours (I guess).

regards Ray

Last edited by Shiraz; 15-02-2014 at 04:39 PM.