View Single Post
Old 13-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

some colour decisions in astro imaging

Hi
I am trying to work out a consistent approach to colour rendition, but have come across a few questions that do not have obvious (to me) answers. I would appreciate any comments on the following:

“green is bad” seem to be a widely used assumption. Clearly individual stars cannot be green, but surely some nebulae can have a greenish tinge. And what about a galaxy where unresolved old yellow stars mingle with new blue ones – wouldn’t green be the overall combined colour? is green really a no-no?

Galactic extinction can give far distant objects a red cast – the red is a real part of the object appearance, so would you compensate and let the foreground stars go blue, or leave it as is?

Unresolved combinations of emission and reflection nebulae in distant galaxies (other M20s) will have a magenta colour – the trend seems to be to add Ha and push them back to red. What is your view?

Stars can have only a very limited range of colours because they have essentially black body spectra, but it is common to see star images that seem to be of much deeper saturation than is possible. Is there any good reason why star colours should be realistic?

really appreciate any opinions. regards ray