View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Garbz (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
But it much touted advantages are that it is seamless across devices and is the main reason for the redesign. It's connectivity is what it's all about.
So it's of no advantage in my non connected Observatory. WordPad is gone, you only get OneNote. Office 365 which I am deploying at work (800 + users) only works connected, it needs it to maintain it's license with a monthly 'check-in' to MS.
I guess there will be a flurry of updates and additional features but although I do like it's return to Win7 similarity and User friendliness I don't see any gains in upgrading.
To me it will become another MS subscription service to pay for which seems to be the direction they are heading to.

It's funny really. I work in IT, have done for the last 20 years or so and I am not 'anti' progress but I've seen so many so-called upgrades and unnecessary forced changes that delivered nothing that I have to be a sceptic. I want to see real advantages ganied in productivity, ease of use or reliability of function before I'd commit to moving.
Working seemlessly across devices and not working are two disctinct differences and doesn't make it any less of a desktop device. I think of it as a feature, which it is now. Quite different from Windows 8 / 8.1 which actively ruined the desktop experience in favour of the compatibility. Anyway that's just my view. I actually like it a lot and I will likely update my main Windows 7 machine soon, but right now I was keen to get my Surface away from Windows 7. My telescope.... no so much. That can stay 7, as you say, no advantage. Though I would be keen to know if they fixed the bug I'm experiencing with RDP and Windows 7 causing massive guiding problems, I'm just not prepared to change the entire OS to try

Just a few notes though, Wordpad is still there, it just isn't in the start menu, but hitting start and typing word gives you wordpad straight up. Also Office 365 is a distinctly different product, definitely a subscription service so yes that needs constant licence checks. This I agree is a load of crap, that said I'm not convinced they are abandoning the mainstream office yet.

For an observatory I doubt you'll ever see massive changes that make an upgrade worthwhile, but Windows 10 has a LOT going for it under the hood as did Windows 8.