View Single Post
Old 14-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Astrophe (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I think it is an interesting characteristic of humans (generalisation warning ) the desire or want to believe in so many things that have no basis in terms of a scientific assessment or even a cause and effect analysis....I would like to know the machinery behind tarot cards but followers seem happy to accept that they just work...the mystery seems to just firm up many irrational beliefs.

I don't care what the belief, folk can believe what they wish, but it is strange why so many seek something ,often really offbeat, in which to believe...

And so you get these books where the author gathers up stuff and folk believe it cause its in a book...

And often it is so easy to see an author is grinding an axe.

Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTrooper View Post
"Comet Cleanse", the way the dinosaurs were comet cleansed?

It's highly entertaining the way astronomical discoveries completely stuff up astrologists. They used to use 6 planets, then 7 then 8, then 12 at one stage (when asteroids 1-4 were thought to be planets).
Now they argue amongst themselves about it. Pluto's demotion was a classic.

Would love for there to actually be another remote planet found, just to watch these idiots scramble trying to work out what to do with it.

Tehehehe
OK, you guys have made your positions very clear and I believe that I would be right in labeling both of you as thorough going materialists....by that I mean that you only believe in what your physical senses tell you. That's fair enough and you have every right to your opinions, but, where you err, is in believing that your opinions are the be all and end all of things. They are not.

Has it ever occurred to you that every human civilization that has ever existed, has had a belief (in one form or another), in the supernatural? In other words, every civilization has held that the senses do not tell us the whole story of mankind's relationship to the manifested world.