View Single Post
Old 18-06-2013, 09:35 AM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
From your descriptions you could have warped the secondary holder and mirror just a little. You cannot tighten these things are really tight, just snug is the go.

I used the tak scope until I had it as good as I could then I did a star test that night with the camera in place.

Your focusor might have some issues too. Which focusor are you using?

Rotator - if Optec just check to make sure the back adapter is snug all the way around. It can be just a bit out and that will also create this sort of thing.
Thanks Paul

you might be right re the warping. I have a suspicion that its not simply a case of having the secondary misaligned. I had read somewhere that the RC design is very sensitive to the distance from primary to secondary so if I have gone too far - either in or out - I won't be able to get it right. Is this your experience?

Focuser is an Optec TCF-S 2 inch focuser. Its a heavy beast and there is precious little movement in it.

More interesting perhaps is the rotator - a Pyxis 2 inch also. I have a few adapters in the imaging train to get everything to focus. The miscollimation has become more apparent since including it in the mix. That said, once I started adjusting the collimation I have been unable to get reasonable results with or without the rotator.

Pete