View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 AM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

While I'd agree with others about spending money on the mount first etc etc, and all those scopes you suggested likely disappointing you for visual use etc..

If I were looking to buy an APO refractor, and those 4 scopes you mentioned were in my list, I'd go with the TMB 80 Signature Series or the TMB 92 Signature Series over the WO or SV.

I recently sold a TMB 80mm F/6 triplet APO.. It was by far the best scope I've owned thus far... Although this new one I have now might shake things up a bit if I ever get a chance to use it)

I really can't recommend TMB optics enough for photographic use, but for visual, nothing beats aperture. And when it comes to aperture, you can not beat a Dob for value...

For example, an 90mm TMB scope will cost you $1700AU by the time you get it here.. a 305mm dob will cost you $1200~1300AU.. Having said that, photography will be much easier with the 90mm TMB..

What you really need to decide is what you want to do... If you're interest lies more in photography... save up, get yourself an EQ6 or something a little larger perhaps, and a TMB APO, a guide scope and guide camera.. and have the time of your life...

If visual astronomy is more your thing, get a 10~12" dob and a few nice eye pieces..

If you're unsure which you prefer, I would recommend getting along to one of the new moon weekends out under dark skies (there is one this weekend an hour an a half north of Brisbane) Have a look at a few different setups, visual and imaging rigs, see how everything works... See how the imagers swear a lot and throw things in disgust, while the visual astronomers have a ball haha

Theres many things to consider, but its best to get a feel for what you want to do before you throw a lot of money at astronomy...