View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

I have most of the things you've mentioned in your post.

My set up is this.

8" Newt (GSO)
102 ED Orion
HEQPro 5
Orion guide scope package ST80
Meade DSI2 for guiding.
Canon 1000d Dslr.

It's a very capable set up, I can get 10min guided subs no problem. I've never tried longer because of light pollution. Even 10mins where I am is too long.

My recommendation would be to start out with a DSLR for imaging. It is so much easier than a CCD. When you are starting out believe me when I say "you want easy".

You’re going to be struggling with polar alignment of the first few weeks. It took me months to get to the point where I was sure I was doing it right . The last thing you want is be learning how to use your mount and how to use a CCD camera as well. What I thought were limitations in my mount turned out to be limitations in my skill level and understanding of the equipment. It doesn’t take much understanding to get reasonable results, but to get great results requires an enormous amount of understanding. That is something that comes with time. I'm still waiting .

Then there is the steep learning curve associated with processing. That is 98% of the learning curve IMO. You take the best data in world but if you can’t manipulate in it Photoshop then there is no point.

An EQ6 would be better than an EQ5, that’s a no brainer but there is nothing wrong with the EQ5. I use to want a bigger mount but that was just me lusting after bigger and better. When I actually sat down and looked at what I can do with my current set up, I'm perfectly happy with it, for now . I'm sure I'll upgrade in a few years, but if I'm going to get something bigger I'll be looking at a Losmandy and not the EQ6. But that’s years off. You cant beat the EQ5 and an 102 ed for portability, you just can’t.

In a nut shell my recommendation would be to start out as simple as you can and build on what you learn. If you start out to technical you'll just get frustrated and end up losing interest.

Learn how to drift align properly, once you can get subs up to about 1 or 2 mins unguided your ready to start guiding.

When I started out (not so long ago) I tried to do everything at the same time and it took me twice as long to do anything. .

Sandy