Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 01:08 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hi Nick,

From reading your posts, I assume you are using a push to dobsonian is that correct?

To have any success at all with images (from a basic perspective) you do really need a tracking mount. You can do some very short exposure deep sky stuff with an Alt/Az tracking mount & you can do some very good planetary imaging on an Alt/Az tracking mount using video & a number of free processing software packages.

If you want to get into longer exposure photographs (Deep sky longer than 10s exposures which is about the best you'll do on an Alt/Az tracking mount) then yes, you will need an Equatorial Mount with tracking...

I know nothing about EQ platforms for Dobs, other than the fact that they do exist but, if you just want to add tracking to your Dob, there are a number of ways to accomplish that but, none are particularly cheap...

Depending on your brand of scope there are Goto upgrade kits (predominantly for SW I think) which give you both Goto capability & tracking. Another option is to look at Digital Setting Circles, an Astro device such as Nexus or Argo Navis & a drive system such as Servo Cat; there might be other options available too, depending on which way you want to go.

Or, there are completely different approaches you might take depending on how seriously you want to get into AP & how deep your pockets are...

Cheers