View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 09:37 AM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Pete, re guiding. What do your images look like if you take really short exposures...say 10 sec. Do you see much distortion? What you see in a short exposure is probably optical...with longer exposures it guiding or flexture.

Peter
Peter

thanks for your response.

The shortest expsoure I tested on was 120 seconds and found some eggy stars still. That said, I also managed a few 300 second images and found nice round stars hence I thought it was likely guding.

I have yet to try very short frames eg 10 - 20 seconds. Will give that a go.

I've done some more thinking/poking/prodding at the weekend (without any actual imaging as it was cloudy) and reached the following tentative conclusions:

1. My scope wasn't properly balanced - I removed the rotator but didn't compensate by rebalancing. Elementary error of course. As a result, there were some shifts which threw the guiding out.

2. My PA isn't perfect. I couldn't get TSX to play nicely but have since determined that this was because I hadn't synced in TSX before trying a plate solve. I can address this when I next have clear skies.

3. My collimation is not as good as it could be. At around 13 arcseconds, this is also contributing to eggy stars. I can look to settling this when I next image as well.

4. There may be some flexure as well though this is less likely. I've tightened everything up and am waiting on adapters for teh QSI so I can use the Lodestar on the OAG and then ditch the guidescope. This makes balancing a bit easier.

I'm not sure whether there is anything else at play here - but if I get these issues under control, I can then start focussing on the mount (excuse the pun).PEC and Protrack are the next steps.

Now for some more fine weather!

Pete