View Single Post
Old 23-12-2011, 07:32 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Well, since you put it that way.......Before I can attack the fabrication of the pieces for a C8, I need to locate an engineering shop that doesn't charge rocket-science prices. I have one nearby, who are happy to do small work, but their precision is not super great. (They basically import and integrate bush fire-pumps to steel chassis, etc.)

My question is: It does not seem like there is any need for great surface precision in either of the two plates, basically the collimation screws provide the final precision.

That being the case, if I purchase a couple of pieces of thick (5mm or more) aluminium stock from the local supplier, and have them reamed/drilled/milled etc to fit, taking into account how they work as a sandwich with the existing focuser plate, do you see any need for high precision in that work? Also, it's only an 8" mirror so thread loadings should be less, allowing all aluminium stock.

Second question, do you think I can keep the plate thicknesses such that I can use normal dovetail-size hex bolts for the collimation function, of which I have many surplus?