View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 08:19 AM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger34 View Post
Hi Mike and everyone else
A noob question and am not afraid to ask a lot more I was gifted a Celestron Powerseeker 127, with a working tripod by a neighbour. He has had his fun with it and moved on.
Its in very good condition, dusty and the mirrors do need a good clean. i note the use of distilled water and cotton wool ball in an earlier post !!
The Finderscope is good BUT, there are no eyepieces or filters. I quick look online at the original specs and am thinking thats good money for the optics.
Does, anyone have the optics to suit or know where I can obtain the secondhand? I see there is a For sale and Wanted to Buy forum, so that my next stop.
Am new to astronomy live in Croydon Victoria, on the side of a hill. A lot of trees round here and there are some good spots in my back garden to see a fair bit of the night sky.
Thanks for being here and i will be spending a fair bit of time reading other posts and asking a lot more questions
Cheers Roger.

Welcome Roger. I'm from Tas and am relatively new to astronomy as well. The gents and ladies on the forum here are great and only too willing to help. There is always someone to provide a response and support where required. I have asked many questions and picked up a lot of tips from members here. Ask away.

I am no expert but simply enjoy getting my telescope out in the backyard at home for an hour or so, or heading out with a group of people for a few hours. Which ever way you choose to do it, just do it.

Find a local astro group close to you. They will have other telescopes and most are only too keen to show you their gear and let you have a look through the eyepiece.

A great app I use on my phone and ipad is Sky Safari. It gives you a good list of what is visible ini the sky right now and will help you. It also gives you the co-ordinates of the object in the sky. I have found this most beneficial.

The for sale component of this forum is great too. I have purchased a few objects with no problems.

Good luck with your viewing and clear skies.

Regards
Scott