Thread: Formula Boring
View Single Post
Old 19-03-2015, 07:12 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I disagree to a point.

Saying "Make your car faster" is simplistic in the extreme. Mercedes the constructor have done a great job on their car, if it was a complete pig that only worked in a straight line then they would likely not dominate, but it is far easier to make a fast car faster than a slow car fast, just look at McLaren over the last couple of years.

What I have a problem with in a "Just get on with it" sentiment is that the engine advantage is written into the rules, with the limited development rules and eventual almost complete freeze of engines in a couple of years time it is very unlikely that the others will catch up.

When it was a minor disadvantage as Renault historically had in the later years of the V8 engines, an otherwise great car could overcome it. The RBR cars tended to get eaten on straights but carried such corner speed that they were still competitive over a lap at most tracks. Make the deficit into the now rumored 100hp and they may as well be driving around with a spark plug disconnected, and the rules mean it will probably stay that way for years.

The in season rule changes to clip the wings of RBR, Ferrari and others over the years are pretty well documented, why is this any different?

All in all I dislike parity categories (I have not watched Bathurst in 20 years) but the prospect of spending the next couple of years seeing two silver cars romping away out the front and lapping everyone up to about fifth place does not thrill me and make me want to stay up late to watch.