View Single Post
Old 14-08-2015, 06:29 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I have been trying out a few laminates recently to see how they work with Teflon. At the moment I am leaning toward Polytec Basalt Pearl Texture. This laminate has a much finer pattern than Ebony star 50 but still is a nice slippery surface, another candidate is the Laminex 'Dimensions' texture.

Third option will be tested soon and reported thereafter.....
Hi Matt,

I know someone who still has almost a full sheet of ebony star 50 in the roof of his workshop, but he isn't parting with it at any price, as in his opinion everything else only comes close to the real thing.

On a serious note, I am not familiar with the Polytech Basalt Pearl. I am familiar with the Laminex Dimensions and it does work pretty well, but I am not sure if its still in current production. It starts to struggle on really large scopes > 24" and usually requires additional support in the center of the ground board to get smooth motion. This extra support isn't usually required with ebony star #50. The extra support isn't that much of an inconvenience when building the scope. The bevelled edge Teflon pads definitely help in this regard.

Cheers,
John B