View Single Post
Old 14-08-2015, 12:54 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi James,

Dave has given you excellent advice. Take note of it and don't waste your money on 90 finish ebony star. If it worked as well as 50 finish ebony star (discontinued by Wilsonart in about 2008) all of the larger professional custom telescope makers would be using it and to my knowledge none of them are. The 2 are not even close in their surface texture.

50 finish ebony star is shiny with "even" course dimples. The river wash you have has a course texture but the ridges are very "uneven" in size. I would try cutting "leads" on all of your plastic pads to help reduce "sticktion". In other words you should bevel the 4 top edges of each pad at 45 degrees. I have done this with a couple of scopes and it has helped a lot. I think it will help a lot with the uneven textured laminate you are using. I did this on a bench grinder and bevelled about 3mm at 45 degrees on each of the 4 sides of the pad face. I did this on 2 scopes that used the correct "50" series ebony star and it still improved movement smoothness.

Cheers,
John B