View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 PM
dreamstation (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave brock View Post
I'm not familiar with the Sky-Watcher base bearing but if it's Teflon onto the colour-board used for the rest of the mount then any textured laminate should be a reasonable improvement.
Well I finally got around to cutting a ring for the base and I got some plastic from a plastic repair shop. It wasn't teflon but they assured me it would do the same job. I was and still am a little skeptical but hey it was free. Decided I would put it on the cheap second hand dob I recently bought in case it didn't turn out and well you were right, now it's the better of the two.

Massive improvement over the stock setup which makes you question why they don't come with something like that from the factory. It wouldn't cost that much extra for a lot better movement. I had put a thin coat of turtle wax on the laminate as well which would be helping but the difference in the two is like night and day.

Might still try and get a hold of some of the 90 grade ebonystar for the other one though. Interested to see if there is even more improvement to be had.