View Single Post
Old 05-08-2022, 08:11 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
The older crayford can tend to have a little free play as they age. You should be ok though with a rack and pinion.

With the ZWO EAF on the Asiair, make sure the focus process is completing with the focuser moving in (against gravity). Visually check to confirm, if it's not then use the "reverse" switch on the Asiair focuser setting page to fix.

You should find the best autofocus exposure times for each filter. This blog covers autofocus on the Asiair. It from last year but still relevant.
How to autofocus with asiair

In a previous post I suggested using no filter. Try setting up the autofocus for a Luminance filter (direction, exposure, and step size) and confirm the Bahtinov mask agrees. Then try another filter and find the correct exposure time for autofocus. Set it up one filter at a time.

Chris
Thanks Chris, some stuff for me to try there

I’m out in the field now actually, first sub I took was mask focused on Ha, was extremely particular to ensure it was perfectly focused (according to the mask). FWHM on Ha filter of 2.62. Refocused myself manually using the ASIAir focus tool (not AF, just where it graphs HFD and you can tell if it’s focused based on the graph trend.) First and second sub after doing that - FWHM of 2.19…

Might try a different mask too.