View Single Post
Old 20-04-2010, 10:25 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugnsuz View Post
True, but the savvy buyer around these parts can pick up a very well cared for 40D body for $750
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=59259
Probably cheaper on ebay.
http://cameras.shop.ebay.com.au/Digi...=p3286.c0.m282
Now I'm aware that's not new for new comparisons, but if I was doing it from scratch today that's the route I would go - so it would be a $1000 difference that would need to be justified

But, for me today the price of my 40D isn't in the equation - it's bought, done and dusted...in the past!!
Realistically, I would have to sell my 40D + accessories/filters and come up with another $2K to buy a QHY9 (minus NB filters and adapters and gawd knows what else!!!)
...or come up with approx $1K for the cooling mod!
I am not trying to start a argument here....really.... and Doug I do understand the situation you are in but I think if we are going to compare the cost of a fully modded DSLR Vs a brand new QHY9 then both should be valued at new price. I could just as easily say I have a QHY9 all paid for etc...what do I need to get it image ready....hmmm a starlight xpress 2" FW ($560) and a set of Astronomik type II filters ($530) so it will cost about $1100 to go....bit misleading me thinks as I have already paid 2K for the camera. The good news is with the influx of "more affordable" CCD camera's hitting the market, second hand samples will become more common and this is the case. I have seen many used CCD's come up for sale (my own QHY8 was one of them) for very reasonable prices, some very close to your mod price alone. In fact the last month has seen 2 virtually new ST8300's up on the block (AlexN and Tandum). It doesn't really matter how much you modify a DSLR, eventually you will want a CCD....it happens to all of us if we don't give up astronomy all together first.

Mark