View Single Post
Old 18-09-2007, 10:56 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewaldo View Post
Hi Doug,

I work with several other pro photographers at a studio in Brisbane. One lens we always recomend (and our studio has 3) is the 100mm macro. It really can't be beat. It easily performs at a "L" level but without the body quality (not an issue unless your a press photographer) or the price tag. We use this lens a lot for commercial advertising and product photography. Its one of the sharpest lenses canon makes, including L series.

I must say though that I have only used it for "land" use and have not tried it on the stars. But I would imagine it would perform well.

I could always do a quick test for you on the weekend..... (I don't have a GEM but could do some quick exposures)

Also I would 2nd Phils comment in saying that the 50mm 1.4 is not really worth the extra money for image quality alone. It is biult better and has a distance scale. I own the 1.8 and love it for its cheap/nasty feel but lovely images.

Hope this helps.

Dave.
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the response - I really like the FOV delivered by a 100mm lens.
The f2.8 macro will be pushing the budget, the EF 100mm f2 USM model is more my price!
Do you have any experience with that lens in your work?
Also the 85mm f1.8 USM looks tasty too!!
Cheers
Doug