View Single Post
Old 26-06-2017, 07:27 PM
gregbradley

Hi Joe,

Thanks for that listing.

I have A7r2 and had an A7r and also a Nikon D800e, Fujifilm XE1, XT1, X100S and now an XT2.

Sony A7s sounds good on paper but some of the images I have seen seemed to have a greenish cast. Not sure if its the processing or the camera but it made me a little suspicious.

A7r has the same sensor as your K1 the Sony Exmor 36.3mp full frame. A very nice sensor. Its also packaged in the QHY367C camera which is cooled and gives true RAW images but that is US$4399.

The issue with Sony is the fact they cook the RAW long exposures with a hot pixel suppression algoritihim that can diminish or delete faint stars confused as noise and weaken other stars. For a nightscape perhaps that does not really show up too badly as there are literally millions of stars but still.

A7s also does this as far as I know. But I think in the earlier models it may only kick in in bulb mode. Same with my A7r2 (I think) as I did not upgrade the firmware to the latest versions which make it kick in above 3.2 second exposures.

Sony though has the widest range of lenses as basically any lens from any company will fit a Sony with the appropriate adapter as it has the shortest registration distance of any camera maker. Fuji is similar with a few mm difference to the Sony.

Fuji do not apply a hot pixel suppression algorithim (at least not that I know of).

Canon has the largest array of cheap modded cameras that turn out nice Milky Way shots (potentially of course).

A modded Sony A7s or A7 or A7r may be good as I can use my lenses and adapters for the A7r2 on it.

There is a new Canon 6D ii being released on the 29th of June. Its supposed to have 1.5 stops better noise at high ISO. Perhaps that may be worth it but it will be US$1999 plus the mod plus a Canon lens or two. Not sure its worth it for the slight gain over the Sony.

I may just settle for a cheaper modded Canon 600D and a Samyang 12mm F2.

The Pentax sounds good, its quite cheap for a full frame camera with that nice 36mp sensor which I like and the astrotracer function sounds useful if not quite as good as a Polarie tracker in performance.

Greg.