View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 02:02 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
To follow on from my earlier post: I took another look at 11.25am in bright sunshine - not a cloud in the sky.
Both Jupiter and Mars appeared fainter. Mars was quite difficult to see initially, even though I knew where to look. Once I found Mars it was easy enough to keep it in view. Mars was still a faint pink and Jupiter a washed out white. The bands on Jupiter we're only just visible, so perhaps the hot, higher Sun is now causing a lot more turbulence that is not obvious at 33X.
Mars was now positioned at 2.00 on a clock face with Jupiter at the centre. I could not see any change in angular separation from my earlier observation at 9.30. I would have needed a micrometer equiped eyepiece to see the small change. I think the two will now slowly separate.

I visited Mercury whilst waiting. Best view was at 62x. Mercury was a small, moderately bright shimmering irregularly shaped disk, reflecting it's current phase. I tried for Saturn, but to no avail - it was washed out by the Sun's glare despite some extra long shielding to keep stray light out.
I then visited Rigel Kent - bright white with a hint of blue. Best view was at 62x. Whilst a lot of turbulence, the pair were easily split in regular moments of better seeing. I had planned to visit Acrux next but I had left it too late as it was now just below my roof line. I had set the scope up close to the house to get some shielding from some occasional gusts of wind.
I visited Antares to finish up. I was a beautiful yellow-orange speck against the blue sky.
A rare sight for us indeed Steve .

Stayed up for this, and earlier had easily split Theta Indi ..one of my personal favorites.

Jupiter and Mars together did look like a lovely wide double double in Binos , with the very wide Zubenelgenubi some degrees above and to left in Sydney...Mars pink, and no detail , soo low over Sydney at 330am... Jupiter the usual bands a yellow white ,with Moons to side in Binos and scope

Watched a bit more got inspired went over to Upsilon Carinae mags 3,6 sep 5.0"...that looks a bit like the brighter Rigel double ..very pretty, as is the wonderful Gamma Volantis nearby ..then slept...Not much cloud and an event to remember.
Thanks for your report.
bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 07-01-2018 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Add