View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Phil Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
Interesting discussion.

If you read THIS thread you would get a totally different opinion.
My experience with the 500D has been mixed. Sometimes the pics are so noisy, I just can't use them. Here is one I was really disappointed with. Click on the image to zoom in and you will see what I mean.
http://deepspaceplace.com/show.php?id=ngc1976b

I have a few hunches what's going on, but I don't have the evidence to back it up. One day if I have the time and energy, I'll look into it again.

James
for half an hour at f5 that doesn't seem so bad to me.. sure it's heavily stretched which is showing the noise, but there's a fair bit of faint detail there for a relatively short exposure time. was it taken in summer?.. warmer temps are definitely worse. will be interested to hear your theory sometime!

I think the 40D/450D does (must?) have the edge with larger pixels.. technology gains (eg gapless microlenses) since then maybe haven't quite beaten the inherent noise downside to smaller pixels. but from what i've seen (which is only a little) i'd be happy playing with any of the models since then too. the 60D and 7D looked nice with the recent subs i've seen from them..

Phil